Thursday, February 23, 2012

My Grandpa

On February 1st, my Grandfather passed away.  It has been 3 weeks since his passing, we've had his funeral, the flowers I've saved have dried and yet I still can't believe that he's gone.  I fully expect him to return to Minnesota in the Spring from his winter home in Arizona. 


My Grandpa was only 71, his death has been a horrible shock to all of us.  He took good care of his health, played softball and tennis every day and loved life. I thought he would follow in his father's footsteps and live till he was 97.   I still can't believe he is gone.

My Mother, my brother and I all read a eulogy at his funeral.  My cousins played piano. The guys were all pallbearers. My Uncle read a reading and everyone was involved in planning his service.  I think he would have been happy that we all came together as a family. 

I miss him terribly. I wish I could call him up and meet him for lunch again or that my door bell will ring and he will be standing there just dropping by to say Hello.

I can't believe he is gone....

My Eulogy:

For the last 5 days I have been writing and re-writing this in my head and on paper. How do you begin to say goodbye to a man and a relationship that you treasured so much?

Every year my Mom gave my Grandpa these calendars with daily sayings. You know the ones where each day you rip off the page and read the daily proverb. He loved them and would often share his favorite ones with us. On February 1st, the day he passed, his calendar read this: “Grateful for this life. Full of family, friends and love. Seize the day.” I couldn’t think of a more fitting saying to go along with my Grandpa’s life. He loved life. He loved his family, his friends and he sure knew how to seize the day.

Ove was a handsome, supportive and determined man, with big strong hands, blond wavy hair and sparkly blue eyes.


He was an athlete and homecoming royalty with school letters and crowns.

He was an early riser and early to bed.

He had a birthday every day but stayed the fun age of 23.

He loved to play cards, softball, tennis and shuffleboard.

He made incredible soups from scratch and never followed a recipe.

He collected cameras, old newspapers, coins and everything his family ever gave him.

He waved to people he didn’t know, teased everyone and liked to talk about the weather.

He loved ice cream for breakfast and a beer for lunch. He hated corn dogs.

He was special to me, he was my Grandpa.

He wasn’t perfect - but who is? He was the way he was and I loved him for that. He was my Grandpa.

My husband called him the “Great Dane” my daughters called him “Great” and I called him Grandpa.

My Grandpa never missed a Grandparent Day, sporting event, recital, concert, confirmation, graduation or birthday.

My Grandpa would take me shopping for my Christmas dress and take me out to eat for my birthday.

My Grandpa would make me clean my plate before I could go swimming in his pool.

My Grandpa would buy my coins off of me to add to his collection.

My Grandpa would help us move – he shook his head at my college house but was proud of the home that I chose to raise my family in.

My Grandpa was proud of us. He would show us off to his neighbors, friends, and favorite waitress.

My Grandpa was there to hold me when I was born, hug me at graduations, dance with me at my wedding and hold my babies when they were born.



My Grandpa would do anything for anyone.

He was a dedicated worker, supportive teammate, helpful neighbor, caring brother, proud father, loving Grandfather, and adoring Great Grandfather.


I miss my Grandpa. There is a void here without him. I will miss being able to call him and ask him to lunch. I will miss him being there for every major milestone and for even the little ones. I will miss his sparkling blue eyes and the way he said “love ya”. I will miss his support and loud whistle. I will miss his big strong hands and the way he helped my daughters in and out of the car after meeting for dinner.

I am so thankful for the relationship that my brother Nate and I had with him. I am thankful that I can still see him everywhere.

You can see him in his sister Vera, they have the same sparkly blue eyes. I am so thankful that he had such a wonderful sister.

You can see him in my Mom in her determination, hard work ethic, love of nature and the way that she cheers on and supports her children.




You can see him in my brother with his athletic ability, handsome good looks and the familiarity in their personalities.


You can see him in my daughter Victoria that got his eyes of blue and in my daughter Marlee that got his curl.


I probably have his stubbornness, but I also believe that I got his caringness and willingness to help out all of his friends.

Victoria, my 3 year old daughter, said it best “Today is a sad day, Grandpa Ove went to heaven”. And she is right. It is a sad day. He was taken too soon and he should still be here with us.

I have a feeling he will still be watching over all of us – cheering us on. When my girls are older and playing sports we will hear a faint whistle of support. When I we’ve had a great accomplishment or hit a major milestone I will feel his heavy arm around my shoulder giving me a hug.

I think if my Grandpa could tell us all one thing. He would remind us of that proverb from February 1st: “Grateful for this life. Full of family, friends and love. Seize the day”. I just wish we had more days with you Grandpa. We love you and miss you.

4 comments:

Erin said...

Erica, I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your beautiful words and memories. I have tears in my eyes after reading your eulogy, he sounded like an absolutely amazing man. You are lucky to have had him in your life.

Kristin said...

Erica just wanted to tell you that your words are just beautiful and I am sure that you did him proud!

Anonymous said...

Laid in bed crying this morning as I read your eulogy for your grandpa. Especially when I got to the part about seeing him everywhere. I'm so glad you shared this on your blog. Love ya!

Erica Wirtz said...

Thank you ladies. I appreciate your kind words and support.